Review: Sacrifice

Author: Cayla Kluver
Date of Publication: October 23 2012 (AKA best day of the year!)
Pages: 438
Source: Library
Finale to: Legacy series; Book 1: Legacy, Book 2: Allegiance
Alera

Queen of a fallen kingdom, secretly in love with the enemy.

Shaselle

Daughter of a murdered father, rebel with a cause.

One lives behind the former Hytanican palace walls and walks the razor's edge to keep the fragile peace in her beloved homeland. The other slips through the war-torn streets, seeking retribution for her family's tragedy, following whispers of insurgency.

Both face choices that will separate them from those they cannot help but love. As their stories intertwine, a conspiracy ignites that may end in slavery or death—or lead to freedom anew, if only each can face what must be sacrificed.

Review:
Frankly, I'm disappointed. The Legacy trilogy was one I enjoyed until the end where I felt more irritation with the direction the author was taking than any sort of enjoyment.

As always, the world and setting is interesting. There is a fantastic cast of diverse characters and I cared for many of them. It bothered me, however, that the two main characters were the ones that drove me absolutely insane.

I couldn't respect their decisions. I was disappointed with their behaviors so much so that I stopped liking them. First, there is Shaselle. I'm not sure why the story takes place in her perspective- maybe because nothing happens in Alera's- but she was so childish and impulsive that I couldn't see why anyone would like her. She made so many bad, stupid decisions that had the potential to hurt a lot of people. She was a nuisance that kept interfering and I couldn't stand it. I ended up not liking her because all she seemed to do was cause trouble. She was not part of any single solution and I hate irresponsibility.

Hytanica has been conquered by Cokyri and the other protagonist who is supposedly the ruler of Hytanica, Alera, does absolutely nothing of note. As Queen, she is in charge of her people and Alera was passive. She didn't do anything. She listened, suggested a few parties or festivals to boost morale, and she let all the men in her life decide what to do. She considers herself a strong person so it frustrated me so much to see her let others take control. She lead nothing. She had the power to do something as Grand Provost but her only powers seemed to be in talking to Narian.

Two characters who were both meant to be strong failed miserably. At some point, actions were taken and this part was completely skimmed over because none of the protagonists were involved. This cheapened the entire story because instead of witnessing the political and military battles of two countries, one that had conquered the other, we were instead viewing the lives of two useless girls that got nothing done. I was so excited to read about the battle. I wanted to see how Alera dealt with everything and I learned she didn't. I can't respect that.

I'm very disappointed right now because this was a series with great potential. I was expecting something awesome but Sacrifice has made me want to forget this series. I didn't like the direction the author took with the characters. The ending felt too tidy and easy, and it was a letdown.

Not much happened in Sacrifice and I think I would have rather not read this book at all. As the finale of the series, Sacrifice didn't deliver and regardless of the writing and world that I've always enjoyed, I can't give this book more than one heart.


-P.E.

0 comments:

What do you think?