Review: Boy Nobody

Author: Allen Zadoff
Date of Publication: June 11 2013
Pages: 337
Source: Library

Boy Nobody is the perennial new kid in school, the one few notice and nobody thinks much about. He shows up in a new high school in a new town under a new name, makes a few friends, and doesn't stay long. Just long enough for someone in his new friend's family to die-of "natural causes." Mission accomplished, Boy Nobody disappears, moving on to the next target. 

But when he's assigned to the mayor of New York City, things change. The daughter is unlike anyone he has encountered before; the mayor reminds him of his father. And when memories and questions surface, his handlers at The Program are watching. Because somewhere deep inside, Boy Nobody is somebody: the kid he once was; the teen who wants normal things, like a real home and parents; a young man who wants out. And who just might want those things badly enough to sabotage The Program's mission.


Review:

Boy Nobody impressed me. It is a very distinctive read in terms of style and originality. There is a fabulous premise, an engrossing plot, and an intriguing mystery. I've always loved action and spy books, so called "books for boys", and Boy Nobody was exactly what I hoped it would be.

One thing I just want to quickly mention is that the presentation was awesome. Good cover, and I loved the text style at the beginning of every chapter. These tiny details are so important in establishing a mood and I appreciated how 'clean' the layout was.

Boy Nobody starts with a bang. There is no slow buildup. We meet our protagonist in the middle of an assignment. He works for a group ominously known as The Program that train individuals to be soldiers that completes missions. These soldiers are cold, unfeeling and lethal. They can creep in and creep out of your life without you noticing their entry or exit. They are assassins working with The Program.

The premise obviously fascinated me and I think it was done very well. There's a lot the reader doesn't know in Boy Nobody, but neither does the main character. I'm not giving him a name because I don't know what to call him and I don't want to spoil anything. As the story progressed, more information was slowly revealed and it was a little agonizing because I wanted to know more immediately but I realized that it's a delicate process. There were also some twists and turns that I wasn't expecting. I picked this book up thinking it may or may not interest me, and I'm happy to say that I couldn't stop myself from devouring this book.

One of my favourite little details in Boy Nobody was the use of technology. When reading spy novels, it's always cool to see what technology they use and Boy Nobody didn't disappoint. He's supposed to fit in so everything was inconspicuous but it was so creative that I loved it. From pens that can kill or comatize to a vast repertoire of secret iPhone apps. I absolutely loved seeing hidden uses for things like the weather app.

It's hard to explain how I feel about the main character. Boy Nobody is likable and mechanic. He has a past that is confusing and I rooted for him the whole time. It's hard to know who he is because he's been built up to be almost nothing more than a machine. Still, I enjoyed reading in his perspective, especially the little details he would notice when he entered a room. He would adapt and constantly search for the right answer in conversations. There was also some depth in terms of morality that I found interesting.

Sam Goldberg is another prominent character and she is complex and just a brilliant character. She is very strong and opinionated. She is respected by the people around her and there's something about this girl that makes you want to know more. She's different. She takes action and genuinely cares about the world around her. She has a sad background but from the moment Boy Nobody met her I knew there was something more to her.

Tl;dr? This book is an awesome mix of action and mystery. It's almost impossible to put down and I can't wait to read the sequel. 4 hearts.


-P.E.


6 comments:

  1. I've read so many good reviews about this one and I've already talked to a friend to let me borrow it. The main character sounds so cool :3 Besides, I haven't really read any spy books before, I think... I can't be sure, though. I'm so excited for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! There's a lot of really cool stuff. I've always been a spy fan & I would love if there were more of us :p

      -P.E.

      Delete
  2. I saw this in the library the other day and found it really weird how the pages edges are orange...(at least I think that was this book, damn you crappy memory!) This sounds like a really interesting book! I'm liking the sound of the technology aspect. Looks like I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... I don't remember the orange, but the technology aspect was just so much fun. I love apps & learning about phones so seeing the inventive ideas to use technology, something I've found a little lacking in YA, was fun.

      -P.E.

      Delete
  3. Love the sound of all the action-I have enjoyed contemporary novels by this author so am excited for him to branch out to a different genre. Hopefully I'll be able to get this from my library soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it in my library and I thought it sounded really cool. I hope you enjoy it!

      -P.E.

      Delete

What do you think?