Spotlight - Don't Breathe a Word

Don't Breathe A Word - Holly Cupala
Release Date: January 2, 2012
Publisher: Harper Teen
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 299
Buy the Book: Amazon
Joy Delamere is suffocating.

From asthma, from her parents, and from her boyfriend, Asher, who is smothering her from the inside out. She can take his cruel words, his tender words...until the night they go too far.

To escape, Joy sacrifices her suburban life to find the one who offered his help, a homeless boy called Creed. He introduces her to a world of fierce loyalty, to its rules of survival, and to love—-a world she won’t easily let go.

Set against the backdrop of the streets of Seattle, Holly Cupala’s power­ful new novel explores the subtleties of abuse, the secrets we keep, and the ways to redemption. But above all, it is an unflinching story about the extraordinary lengths one girl will go to discover her own strength
.
Synopsis and cover taken from Goodreads 

The story of a girls fight for survival, when those closest to her are the reason she is dying.



Why It's Awesome:
  • Brings forth the reality of street kids (homeless teen/runaways).
  • Explores abusive relationships and their mental and physical effects.
  • Courageous protagonists 
  • Shockingly honest and suspenseful.
  • Beautifully written.
  • Compared to Speak by Laurie Hulse Anderson.
Recommend If You Liked:
Comment: 
This is among the best and post powerful books I've ever read. Yet, I'm surprised that not many other have read it. So TSC readers I emplore you to pick it up and give it a shot. I especially recommend this one to those who are in the mood for a dark YA read that deals with a real horror faced my people everyday.



Book Trailer

-MARI

6 comments:

  1. Hm, Kristan's going on a trip to Seattle soon. Maybe she should pick it up as a themed read...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does deal with darker subject matter but if I had the chance to read this book while actually in Seattle I would definitely take it!

      -Mari

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this book too! Great review :)
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

      -Mari

      Delete
  3. I've see this book around but haven't had a chance to pick it up. I don't tend to like darker YA but I do tend to agree with Jen Ryland so this actually might be a read soon for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same, I usually run away from books with darker subject matter but I just kind of tripped into this one and ended up loving it. I hope you enjoy it!

      -Mari

      Delete

What do you think?