When I Need to Read




You've felt it: that itch, that burn, the realization that the real world doesn't matter, because the fictional world is calling you.

Sometimes, I really need to read. It's a bit of a desperate thing. I go a little crazy if I'm deprived from my book when I need it.

Obviously, it is essential to always keep a book handy. That being said, here are some warning signs for when I really need a book.




  • When I finish a book. You know those cliffhanger endings? I die a little at the thought of waiting a whole year for the next book.
  • When my thoughts are running wild. I'm an overly analytical person with a mind that won't shut up sometimes. I need the distraction to give myself a break.

  • When I feel too quiet. I'm as moody as anyone is, and when I'm in one of those awful moods where the world feels like a blur that's supposed to matter but doesn't, I need to retreat and read.
  • When I'm angry. Most people don't realize it (or maybe they do and I just don't know it) but I get very angry very fast. I can also let it go very quickly too, but when I'm in a foul mood, I need to read to let it go.
  • When I'm bored. Well, duh! There's never enough time to read all the books in the world and both for the blog and my mental well-being, I try to read as many as I can. This reason works very well during commutes. Being the 21st century kid that I am, I can not stand the thought of doing nothing with my previous time. That means that I'll fiddle with my phone and Twitter if I must, but mostly I'll want to read anything I can.
  • For review. Whoops. I can't believe I forgot about this until now. While most books are read on a "when I want to" basis, review books are given priority and read as soon as I can. There's a reason I don't accept too many of these; they can burn me out extremely quickly.


I've probably missed a few reasons. When do you really need to read?

-P.E.

4 comments:

  1. When I'm stressed or sad, I love to escape in a book :) It helps me to control my emotions and to think more realistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. Reading for perspective is so important. I have a pretty bad temper in the sense that I go from zero to angry extremely fast, but I also calm down incredibly fast too and some of that comes from the perspective I get from books, imo. I kind of just say, if my life was a story, what should I do next? Then, I do it.

      -P.E.

      Delete
  2. I really need to read right now... but of course I have company over so I can't totally concentrate. I NEED TO READ NOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things I love about being a teenager is that often, people see us as obnoxious or whatnot so I can just read whenever I want (or go on my phone and spend ages on Twitter) and people will be all, "Bah, teenagers!" but they won't say anything more.

      I guess I'm not the best at being social when I'm in a reading mood. :p

      -P.E.

      Delete

What do you think?