Spotlight on... My Favourite Male Authors

YA is mostly comprised of awesome female writer, but there are also many wonderful male authors. I think it's about time I do a roundup of my very favourites. 

Pierce Brown, Author of Red Rising


Well, duh. I love this book. It's the first book of his that I've read, and I'm pretty sure that he's ever written, and it's good. Really good. I love this book. I love Pierce Brown's ability to write an exhilarating story that uses several aspects of human history. I can't wait to see what Pierce Brown writes next!


Patrick Ness, Author of More Than This, A Monster Calls, and The Knife of Never Letting Go

I've read three books by him, and they've all been very unique in their own way. Ness has mastered writing for his book (as in, changing styles when it suits him) and I love that everything I've ever read from him has its own little twist. I think he's immensely talented, and I'm looking forward to reading more!

Michael Grant, Author of the Gone series


LOVE LOVE LOVE those weird, wicked books. They're so messed up and yet they're wildly addictive. I devour every one of them, and there have been times I have cowered under blankets because his writing produced the most gruesome imagery in my head. I've enjoyed Grant's work for years now. 

Rick Riordan, Author of Percy Jackson and The Heroes of Olympus series



I've been reading these books since fifth grade. Years later, I still love them. They're so much fun and the world is one of my favourites. I love the epic battles between demigods and most of my comprehension of Greek mythology today comes from this author. In fact, in class our teacher was once grilling us about Greek mythology and me and some guy were killing it. I confessed to the guy that the only reason I knew much about Greek mythology was Percy Jackson, and he said, "No way, me too!" So yeah, these books are wildly popular and for good reason. 

Future Faves

Dan Wells, Author of Partials


I debated on whether or not to put Dan Wells on this list, and decided he would be in another section. That's because I've only read one book by him that I enjoyed, but being called a "favourite author of mine" is something I won't do lightly. He's done well so far, but I need to read at least another book to make sure I actually am a fan. 

Brandon Sanderson, Author of Steelheart

I know Brandon Sanderson has written way more books than just Steelheart, but that's all I've read so all I can judge. I enjoyed the thrill of Steelheart and the story with the Epics was just awesome. I can't wait to read more. I know that Sanderson is considered to be a really big deal, and I haven't read any of his other work so I can't comment on it. 

John Green, Author of The Fault In Our Stars

What kind of YA Male Author list would this be without John Green? In all honesty, I've read one book by him in my life, The Fault in Our Stars, and I enjoyed it. I'm just wondering if I'll enjoy all his books as much. 

You've seen my picks. So who am I missing? Which other male authors should I be reading?

-P.E.

12 comments:

  1. Really want to read Patrick Ness and Brandon Sanderson, I've heard such great things about both of them. I've read a few of the Gone series and really enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I obviously think very highly of both of them. ;) Gone is one of my fav messed up series. It's just great. :)

      -P.E.

      Delete
  2. I love Rick Riordan! Still have yet to finish the Heroes of Olympus series but I'm dying for some more Percy so I've actually already ordered them online! I was always so interested in Greek Mythology which was one of the reasons why I picked up Percy. I love what Rick does with the myths and how he creates such a fascinating world! I've only read The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness and while I don't remember everything about it, I do remember loving it. I've heard a lot of great things about his other books though so he's definitely an author that I need to look into!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heroes of Olympus is so awesome. I think the Mark of Athena was my favourite thus far. I totally agree with you about RR. Enjoy more Percy!! Patrick Ness is pretty great too. I think my favourite book of his is A Monster Calls, so if you have the chance, I totally recommend reading that.

      -P.E.

      Delete
  3. BRANDON SANDERSON IS AMAZING!!!! He's my favourite author! Omg, his epic fantasies have the most incredible world building ever (and me being a world building nerd, I was practically drooling while reading his books). And the twists he thinks of and the intricate magic systems and the character development kasdlfkjhwaef! Although I guess he's mostly writes adult books rather than YA. Both his YA and his adult ones are amazing though! I just recently read The Rithmatist and omggg so good :D
    I should stop now before I turn into a gushing mess. Too late? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend that would totally be fangirling with you right now. I've been meaning to read his book for a long time now, just because I've heard he does amazing fantasy, and that's a genre I want to read more of. It's okay to gush lol, I love it! I do it a lot at TSC too. :p

      -P.E.

      Delete
  4. Good list! We think Andrew Smith is doing some cool stuff too, and we've heard great things about John Corey Whaley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I goodreads'd Andrew Smith and I realized there's a few books by him that I want to read, but I haven't read anything yet. I haven't heard of John Corey Whaley but just by researching his books, there's also a few I probably should read! Thanks for the recs!

      -P.E.

      Delete
  5. I love some of them, but my favorite is still John Green, I've reall all his books. Also, I like David Levithan a lot! And James Dashner!
    Great post!
    Lis @ The reader lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear more good things about John Green! I've heard a lot about David Levithan but I haven't read many of his books. I've only read The Maze Runner by James Dashner and was lukewarm towards it. I guess what I'm getting that is that there's a lot of reading for me to do!

      -P.E.

      Delete
  6. Ooh, I just read Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson and it was SOOOOOO amazing! He's a great author :) Also, Rick Riordan is one of my favorite writers of all time! I remembe,r when I was little, my friends and I would play "Camp Half-Blood" in our backyards :) And, yes, the only reason I knew anything about mythology from age 7 was because of his books! I really have to read more of Patrick Ness's books, I loved A Monster Calls... Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hence, this decision of layering the examination process based on academic necessity is surely a commendable step taken by the CBSE board, ensuring the learners of an effective and result-driven education system. Uttar Pradesh Board 12th Model Paper 2021

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?