Review: Four

Author: Veronica Roth
Date of Publication: July 8, 2014
Pages: 285
Source: Gift

Readers first encountered Tobias Eaton as "Four" in Divergent. His voice is an integral part of Allegiant. Readers will find more of this charismatic character's backstory told from his own perspective in Four: A Divergent Collection. When read together, these long narrative pieces illuminate the defining moments in Tobias Eaton's life. The first three pieces in this volume--"The Transfer," "The Initiate," and "The Son"--follow Tobias's transfer from Abnegation to Dauntless, his Dauntless initiation, and the first clues that a foul plan is brewing in the leadership of two factions. The fourth story, "The Traitor," runs parallel with the events of Divergent, giving readers a glimpse into the decisions of loyalty--and love--that Tobias makes in the weeks after he meets Tris Prior.

Review:
I wasn't planning on reading this book. I didn't even give it a thought until my brother bought it for me. Now, how could I deny a Divergent novel, more importantly a book about Four? Correct, I couldn't so I did the only thing I could do; I devoured it!

I re-read Divergent a few months ago and I became aware of exactly how mysterious and distant Four is. We hardly get to see through his facade and that's tough. I love Four, because he is brave, honourable, caring and adorable but I didn't know him until now.

One of my favourite things was reading about Four's childhood and his relationship with his parents and faction. We all know about the abuse he suffered but not the extent. My heart really went out to Four in this one. I've not read many books dealing with abuse but I think Roth managed to portray the mixture of emotions a victim of the situation might feel very well.

Four was so different from the calm and collected persona that he portrays to other. I loved seeing in his mind and seeing how he is always nervous and second guessing himself; it makes him relatable. It also takes him off his perfect pedestal and makes him human.

The book is quite short, approximately 300 pages but it sheds a lot of light onto one of the major characters in the series, who in my opinion needs more pages. Now that I've read Four's perspective, I think I'm going to have a hard time going back to Tris.

For those who are considering reading this book; do it. It will rekindle your love for the series and it's characters, it will also help connect somethings you've read before. For me, I haven't read Allegiant (no spoilers please) and all the negative reviews were starting to get to me, but this has revived my interest in the series. At this point I want to see how the story goes down for myself.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. It was light, interesting and a pleasure to read. I recommend it!


-MARI

0 comments:

What do you think?