Reading Limbos Are Just Me

I’ve noticed over my reading adventures that I don’t necessarily enter reading slumps out of nowhere. They are actually really common.

I don’t often get into a reading spree where I read 10 books in a row, that happens very seldom actually. Picking my next read is the toughest thing for me. It’s completely up to my mood and what catches my eye. It’s random.



I’m currently in a reading limbo because I don’t know what to read next. This happens all the time despite my 1000 book tbr list on goodreads. But I appreciate it. Sometimes it’s important to realize that yes I do need to make content but I also have to realize that it’s fun. If I’m not feeling in the mood, I can pick up some of the best books and not be able to read past the first page. 

To solve this, I have a slow and steady way of picking my next read. It’s not preplanned, it just happens when it’s time. Basically, I get the calling. I feel it in my gut, a sense that tells me I want to read and what I want to read. It’s not always a title or a specific book. Most of the time, it’s a topic or setting.



A couple months ago I watched Pompeii which rejuvenated my love for Ancient Rome and historical romances. After a week or two of intensive searching I finally zeroed into a book that interested me, was within the topic that I was interested in and was readily available at my library. And tada, we got my 5 star rave review of The Mistress of Rome. 

Reading is a moody hobby for me. I will not read something that feels forced. It’s why required reading always takes me months to finish despite by initial interest.  Reading slumps aren’t really an end to reading for me, they are a time when I stop, recharge and find the next best thing.

In a way this explains my starring system and why I have so many 5 star reads. It's not because I'm easy to please or a high marker, far from that. I read less and love more. Meaning the little number of books I read, I enjoy very much with an occasional hiccup here and there. Most of the time if I’m not sure I will love a book, I won’t read it. That’s just me. Even if it means I don't pick anything else up for a long time after. 


How do you pick your next book? Are reading slumps as prominent for you as they are for me?

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with everything you've just said!! I get reading slumps SO often, but I hate feeling like reading is a chore or that I'm doing it purely for my blog. I have to wait for a book to really catch my attention before delving into it. Excellent post!!

    Happy reading :)

    Laura @ What's Hot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've always read and related to the reading slump posts but the authors always speak of the number of books they used to read (like 10) and how for the time being they couldn't get past one. For me it's always been random. When nothing is catching my fancy you know I'm in a reading slump.

      -Mari

      Delete
  2. I don't get reading slumps all that often, even if they usually happen after I go on a reading rampage and need some breathing time for my brain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was like that. I've just always been an incredibly moody reader so that's probably what's the root cause of this evolution :)

      -Mari

      Delete

What do you think?